‘Nihil Nisi Optimum’ – Nothing but the Best.

Meet Mrs. Tiffany Brownridge, a new Whitney Young Counselor.

According to Ms. Beverly Robinson, an important figure from Mrs. Brownridge’s high school years at Proviso West, “Tiffany (Bosley) Brownridge [was] a memorable student from my past. Her students will receive ‘Nihil Nisi Optimum’ (Nothing but the Best) from her service to them.” Mrs. Brownridge, for her part, described her interactions with her counselor as unforgettable and life changing. “Ms. Robertson supported me throughout my high school career and even inspired me to become a counselor. I am a first generation college student. My parents were not equipped with the skills in order to help me navigate the college process. Ms. Robinson helped me prepare for college, whether by helping me decide where to apply, taking me on tours, or helping me with my applications, she was always there. This is the type of counselor that I aspire to be. I want to make a difference in the lives of Whitney Young students just like my counselor did for me. Helping young adults and giving back is my passion.”

Mrs. Brownridge was a counseling intern at Phoenix Military Academy in 2015. Being a conscientious counselor, she realized that many of the students were not ready to take on the adult world and lacked job readiness skills. She then created a job readiness program teaching kids about the do’s and don’ts on applying for a job, preparing for an interview, or simply unlocking their hidden talents when it comes to their job skills. Quoting Jay Z, Mrs. Brownridge stated “I am not a businessman; I am a business, man;” something that she wants all students to remember. She wants students to look at themselves as more than just a person, but as a business that has various talents and skills that are useful when interviewing for a job, deciding what they have to offer the employers, and what the employers have to offer the student. She envisions implementing a program like this in Whitney Young– helping our students to continue to achieve greatness.

The students she assists daily share nothing but kind words about her work. Marazzano Colon ’17 notes, “She’s a very nice lady. I requested a program change and she was very punctual with getting it done before the school year started.” Mrs. Brownridge exemplifies her passion of service through her hard work for her students. Brashana Trammell ‘17 adds, “She’s a great counselor in my opinion. Even though she hasn’t been my permanent counselor, she has made sure I’m doing well and that I have all the tools needed in preparation for the college application process.” It is clear that she is on the path to be as great of a counselor as Ms. Robertson was to her.

Although she has great academic qualities and visionary ambitions, she balances them with hobbies. Genealogy is something that is very important to her. She traced her family tree back to her slave ancestors: even discovering that she was related to the first freedpeople in Elgin. Now, she wants to take a DNA swab test in order to figure out more about her past. Along with Genealogy, dancing is another one of her hobbies. Formerly on the Proviso West’s dance team, The Pantherettes, she currently learns Beyoncé’s dance moves religiously. Who knows, maybe we’ll see her bustin’ out at the homecoming pep rally?