Halina Tutaj ‘16 is dancing her way through life

Carol Platt, Student Life Editor

Halina Tutaj ‘16, started dancing through life long before she started dancing at Whitney Young.  Since she was a young kid, dancing has been a major part of Halina’s life; it has transformed her life and has taken her all over the world. Here’s a little peak into the life of a girl who truly dances as though no one is watching.

How did you get started?

My mom first started signing me up for classes when I was really little. The first class I ever took was baby-ballet with some of my friends. I didn’t really like it at that point, but my mom kept making me go.

How did you learn/what is your training?

Most of my dance training was through Ruth Page, a dance company in the Gold Coast. I’ve been dancing there for nine years. I started off just studying ballet. Since then, I’ve expanded and while ballet is still a big part of my dancing career, more recently I’ve been getting into contemporary and jazz. I was first exposed to contemporary in seventh grade when I joined the dance department at Whitney Young.

What is your favorite thing about dancing?

I like that dance is challenging. There are so many different sides to it; it’s athletic but it’s also artsy and expressive. Based on how you feel, you can focus on any of different parts. Dancing can be whatever you need it to be.

Is there any place where we can see your work?

There is the Ruth Page Spring Show on June 17th and 18th;  it showcases dances from all the students in the company. There is also one coming up in the beginning of July. It will be me and my dance team as well as a group of Cuban dancers. The Cuban dancers are very good, it will be a good show to see.  

What is your inspiration?

I base the dances that choreograph on how I feel in the moment. The piece that I created for the Guys and Dolls show was to the song “Stressed Out”, by 21 Pilots.  It was all about being stressed out and my brain having to doing so many things at once. It was around college time, so I was under a lot of pressure at that time.

Has there ever been a point where you wanted to quit? How did you keep going?

I stopped wanting to quit once I got older. I realize that I wanted to quit when I was little because dancing was hard, and I couldn’t do everything, and it was very repetitive. Now, I look at things that I can’t do as challenges and goals, rather than obstacles. Recently, I’ve stepped into a really good atmosphere and I’ve become more motivated.

Who has been your biggest supporter?

Definitely my mom- she always made me go to dance, she’s always paid for my classes, and she’s been to all my performances; she’s always been there to support me. The director of our dance school, Victor, has always believed in me, and has always told me that I can be a professional dancer. He helped me get to Italy and all over the world. He really helped expose me to all the best opportunities and experiences there are for me.

How are you going to continue your passion in the future?

I am taking a year between graduating high school and starting college to dance for a company in Rome. I don’t know anyone else who will be there, and I don’t know any Italian, but it will be such a great experience.