A new schedule should be in play for WY

Shawn Kim, Opinions Editor

During the PARCC test, we had a block schedule of having a couple of classes be an hour and a half long and then the rest for 20 or thirty minutes. I barely learned anything in those 20 minute classes and asking a teacher to educate within that short time span is too much to ask. A college-like block schedule would be more efficient then the one we used during the PARCC test. Not having the same classes everyday would be refreshing compared to the slow drawl that is high school.

Our current PARCC test schedule hinders any learning due to those 20 minute classes. Getting rid of those and adding a block could solve that issue.

Having a block schedule would be helpful to science classes with labs so we can actually complete a meaningful one in the span of one day. Teachers also see fewer students per day, which helps the education to be more individualized. Their lesson plans become more cohesive because they have more time for their lesson to continue. They won’t have to worry as much about the bell cutting them off for time.

In addition, students would have more days to study or do homework because it would not be due the very next day. This could allow students flexibility during a busy school year.

Having four classes for an hour and 30 minutes each with longer passing periods could be better. Monday through Thursday would be the block schedule. Periods one through four could be on Mondays and Wednesdays, five through 8 could be on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Friday could follow a traditional schedule.

Here’s how the new schedule would look:

8-9:30 Period 1

9:40 to 11:10 Period 2

11:10 to 12: Lunch

12:10-1:40 Period 3

1:50-3:20 Period 4