How are Whitney Young students getting into the holiday spirit?

As December kicks off, Whitney Young students are embracing the holiday spirit in many different ways including riding the CTA holiday train, purchasing a holiday drink from Starbucks, putting up their Christmas tree, and making holiday cookies. The city of Chicago is entering the season by creating holiday-themed buses and trains. The CTA holiday train includes a Santa on a sleigh with his reindeer, elves inside the train cars, decorated trees, and colored lights. The train is active from the 24th of November to the 21st of December. The train changes lines almost daily, making it a rarity to see. A sophomore at Whitney Young can attest to this as he’s “never seen the Christmas train.” However, senior Leonardo Flores rode the train and says that he “couldn’t believe how jolly the elves were.” 

Starbucks released its holiday menu on November 1st, featuring many festive drinks and snacks, such as the Peppermint Brownie Cake Pop and the Iced Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte. Each drink is served in a festive red cup. Whitney Young senior Sonia Liew says that she “gets Starbucks every morning, specifically the Peppermint Mocha holiday drink” and “loves the holiday menu because it gets her into the holiday spirit.” Similarly, Margaret Weinberg, a Whitney Young junior, says, “I love the snowman cookie.”

Whitney Young students are also celebrating the holidays in more traditional ways. Vinay Patel, a senior at Whitney Young, says he is “celebrating the holidays by putting up [his] Christmas tree before Thanksgiving.” Likewise, senior Ava Gomez is “making Christmas cookies, spending time with [her] family, and putting up [her] Christmas tree.” 

As for me, I’m getting into the spirit by making Hannukah cookies with my friends and putting up my Christmas tree with my family. I also enjoy the Iced Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte from Starbucks’ holiday menu.

No matter how you are celebrating the holidays, make sure to spend time with the ones you love.