Is Black Friday what it used to be?

The once frenzied stores with pre-dawn lines and chaotic shopping are not what they used to be. With more convenient online shopping, the famous day occurring after Thanksgiving is becoming a stay-at-home affair. 

A poll sent out to Whitney Young students indicated 35.7% of students reported Black Friday participation. Among those who had participated in Black Friday a whopping 70% reported  shopping online, citing the convenience of browsing through deals at home and avoiding crowded stores as their main reason. Of those who shopped online, a majority of students reported that they were able to secure good deals. Srishti Kolla, a senior, said, “I got a new pair of Converse for 50% off online!”

On the other hand, only two thirds of those who shopped in person felt like they were able to get good deals. Rhea Kochar, a freshman at Glenbrook North High School says she considers this to be the time of year for her to absorb the bustling city nature while shopping in-person downtown. However, she was met with a 30 minute wait at the UGG store with zero discounts for the products she wanted. She found it to be a waste of time. 

Arushi Virmani, a senior at Whitney Young who shopped in person, commented, “The deals are similar to a normal sale or when something goes on clearance, and I wasn’t even able to go to that many stores in-person.” So is it better to shop in-person, online, or not at all during this holiday?

Online shopping has grown significantly in the past few years. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, e-commerce grew 7.78% in the third quarter of 2023, while total retail (which includes e-commerce) only grew 2% from the previous year. Much of this can be attributed to Covid-19, as the pandemic has increased the demand for online shopping, leading to advancements and usability that persist even as we return to in-person living. 

And, the deals during the month of November haven’t fallen flat this year. In the image below, it is clear that for most of November, the Black Friday discount rates have been slightly higher.

Based on student opinions and online statistics, it’s evident that online shopping during the holidays is the most efficient and convenient way to secure deals. In this context, some of its ‘customs’ have changed as our marketplace continues to shift, however the deals seem to be just as sweet. 

Best places to get Black Friday deals in Chicago area | WGN-TV