Our School’s Hidden Gem: The Library

88% of U.S public schools have libraries, including us! But why don’t many students use this resource?

Despite our large library, Whitney Young had previously prevented students from borrowing books due to the lack of a dedicated librarian. Current senior Erica Williams noted that “Whitney Young has never hired an official librarian in [her] six years at the school.”

But recently, thanks to our school assistant Ms. Duran, the library has reinstated a functioning check-out system for students to access the collection of books, attracting dedicated bookworms and curious students. Still, very few students actually use the library to check out books.

According to Ms. Duran, “The lack of an official librarian not only results in a large decrease of student borrowers but also means the collection itself is extremely outdated.” Without much attention, the library has gone from one of our most valuable resources to a forgotten treasure cove.

With the library now serving as a technology center and study hall space, very few students go out of their way to borrow books. Current senior Evan Assmus notes that “students often forget the library actually has books at all.” While these improvements have significantly improved the overall quality of the library, it is no longer the quiet study space it once was. The mass crowds of students using this space during free periods and enrichment detentions have deterred many students in genuine need of quiet spaces.

School libraries provide students the opportunity to effectively learn and gain access to quiet study spaces, essential in helping students excel in their classes. Few students are aware of the check-out system that our library maintains, and even fewer find the library a consistent and quiet study space to spend time in. With the library being such a critical resource for our school, we should raise attention and interest in the student body, encouraging them to access and utilize the library as it should. Modernizing the library’s collection is pivotal in creating this positive change. We are fortunate enough to have a library within our school, and we should ensure that it fulfills its maximum potential.