Acing the SAT/ACT

Tips for Standardized Test Success
    “The Definitive Guide to the SAT 2023-2024” by OnToCollege is licensed under CC BY 4.0

With college application season in full swing, standardized tests like the SAT and ACT are at the top of the minds of high school students and parents alike. These tests are a crucial part of any successful college application campaign and are thus often stress-inducing for students. Fear not, however, as we have curated some tips to boost those scores and ease that worry.

1. It’s not too late to start!

It’s no secret that college application deadlines are coming up and, for some, have even passed. However, seniors, don’t worry! It’s never too late to start prepping and making progress; start now, and you can get over a month of solid preparation. And for everyone else, don’t wait; the sooner you start, the more time you have to study effectively.

1. Understand the test format

The key to performing well on standardized tests is not only to understand the content of the test but also to be well-versed in the underlying test format. Henry Meinertzhagen, a 1540 scorer and high school senior, wisely points out that “It’s not just about what you know. It’s about how effectively you can use that knowledge in a high-pressure environment under a time constraint.” 

1. Practice Tests

Take practice tests regularly to get a feel of the test and to gain a deeper understanding of your strengths and weaknesses. These tests will also build your test-taking stamina and help you fine-tune your time management skills, which is critical on these sorts of tests, where every second counts. Parth Bedi, author of this article and 1530 scorer, emphasizes the importance of taking practice tests, “I must have taken a practice test every week over my three-month SAT study period, and they were definitely the most effective study strategy for me.”

Performing well on standardized tests necessitates hard work, dedication, and strategy. With these tips, we hope to have imparted to you how to achieve these things and get that dream score. Remember, getting your dream score is not a distant goal but an attainable milestone with the right mindset. Ben Smith, an all-around great guy, puts it best: “The will to succeed is important, but what’s more important is the will to prepare.”