Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

The New Schedule: The Hot Topic of Back to School

The Whitney Young Dolphins came back to school on August 21st, the first day on the schedule. For the past two years, Dolphins have gone to advisory/enrichment classes at the end of the day, with the first lunch period beginning at 9:30 AM. This year students attend advisory or enrichment in the morning, after their first or second period. Lunch 3A also begins at 10:20 AM, almost an hour later than usual. Some may enjoy the changes, but others believe that it didn’t need to. Some students and parents took the time to sit down and share their opinions on the early start to the school year. 

Moira K shares her opinion on the change: “Personally I really like the new schedule. At first, the idea of having enrichment/advisory after Blocks 1 and 2 didn’t seem ideal, but now that it has played out, it seems to be way more convenient. The only issue that has arisen is that sports teams may have to be signed out of an actual 7th or 8th period class at the end of the day, which calls for more work to be made up when we are absent.” Another student shares that they don’t like the new schedule as much, as they lost one of the 10 minute passing periods we had last year.

Overall, the main switch of the scheduling was to move the lunch periods. Alex S (a parent), shares the opinion of many, saying that “It’s better that the lunches don’t start as early.” According to The Washington Post, “The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reports that school-age children/teens need to eat every three to four hours. If school lunch is served at 9 a.m. and there is no other meal or snack provided in school, then students will go well past the recommended time without food.” 

A lot of people have different opinions on the topic, but overall the Dolphins have seemed to be adjusting well. Will the schedule be the same next year? Or will things be moved around like they were this year?