Going Clubbing at Whitney Young!

Stephen Bell

Whitney Young’s reputation of being very strong academically and diverse is known throughout the city of Chicago, but something the people outside of the school don’t know is how many different activities the students of Whitney Young organize and engage in every week. One can simply see the array of clubs at the school by going to the yearly Club Fair in the early phases of the school year.

Some students are involved in culture clubs, regardless if it’s their heritage they’re embracing or another heritage that they want to explore. The biggest culture club in the school is the Asian-American Club, or AAC. “It’s a really fun experience for everyone involved,” says James Zhang, ‘20. “From all the dances to the shows that we put on, it’s cool to see people embracing their heritage.” AAC meets in Blue House after school every week from Monday to Thursday.

Students also engage in educational activities after they finish their normal day off! From a range of STEM-related clubs such as Robotics and the Math Team to the Debate Club/Team, many students want to push themselves even further beyond their boundaries. “I can’t tell you much about the other clubs, but from my time being in on the Robotics Team, it was great to see what we could achieve through programming,” said Tyler Glenn-Carlander, ‘20. Robotics meetings take place on Monday and Thursday from 3:30 to 5:00 in Room 109.

Last, but certainly not least, the Arts department at Whitney Young has an extremely talented group of artists, whether it be visual art or music. In the music department, the Music Production Club is a very recent example, and one that certainly stands out. “Our goal is just to let the creativity flow, and people get to learn how to produce using GarageBand or whatever software they want,” says Yashua “Yoshi” Kemet, ‘20. Sponsored by Mr. Mascari and created by Taylor Pennington along with Yoshi, Music Production Club meet on Tuesdays in the Music Lab, room 189.