What did Whitney Young students take away from the 1619 Project?

Gayun Cannon

On October 8, 2019, journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones and her editor, Jake Silverstein, came to our very own Whitney Young to talk about the project they created called the 1619 Project. The 1619 Project is a series of articles written by Black journalists talking about Black struggle throughout the 400 years since African men and women were stolen from their homes and taken to America as slaves. From slavery to lynching and from Jim Crow to police brutality, Black Americans have faced so much discrimination and racism in America. From the students who attended this interview and read the article, what did they take away?

Isabella Aguilar, ‘20, said, “I loved it. It was raw and real. Black people really did build this country. They [Nikole Hannah-Jones and Jake Silverstein] were so knowledgable and real about everything” Elijah Warren, ‘21, felt the same way she did. “It’s such a great opportunity to learn about the legacy of slavery in America. It was so informative about the different struggles and forms of oppressions Black Americans faced. The essays and poems contained a mixture of hardcore facts and emotion and depth. It’s a definite read and will be a magazine that I will keep for a very long time.” The 1619 project seemed to be so influential and most students who read the article and saw the interview took a lot away from this experience. 

Some students even used this opportunity to connect this experience in relation to their previous education on Black struggle. Sophia Ott, ‘22, said, “The 1619 project is so important and educational, I learned so much more in the newspaper than I have in my AP US History class. It’s a super cool opportunity to learn more about our history.” 

The 1619 Project is a very educational magazine with different stories explaining Black struggle since 400 years ago when this all started. Have you read this magazine and if not, will you? Comment below your thoughts!