Chess Team Season Starts

Ricardo Roman, Writer

The 2018-19 chess season is now underway and the dolphins are getting ready for an historic season. Last year the dolphins were co-champions in the spring K-12 Nationals in Columbus, Ohio. Although they were co-champions, the United State Chess Federation recognized both Whitney Young and Thomas Jefferson High School in Virginia each as National Champions, making Whitney Young the first Illinois chess team to win the spring K-12 Nationals since 1971. “I have been part of some of the best teams this school has had and I can honestly say that last year’s team was was one of the best in school history” (Christopher Rupprecht, ‘16). Adding two of the best freshman in the state the dolphins are looking forward to an amazing year. However, how does a team of this caliber study and practice. For Matthew Stevens (‘19) it’s “studying an average of 3 hours a day”. Incredibly Matthew states that this is already in addition to his schoolwork. “This team is the best team that Illinois has ever had, but we got here through tremendous hard work and dedication” (Akhil Kalghatgi, ‘19). The dolphins have not been able to secure a state championship since 2016. The Whitney Young community cannot wait to see what these dolphins are going to accomplish this year.