WY experiences the sound of the Blues at Jazz on the Bridge fundraiser

Cue the jazz hands for this review!

April Gonzales, Creative Director

February might have started off freezing, but it also started out with the sound of Jazz. The WY band program opened this year’s Jazz on the Bridge fundraiser on Feb. 6. Hosted by band teacher, Jim Barbick, the event showcased five jazz combos. Saxophonist Geof Bradfield and trumpeter Victor Garcia not only played with the jazz combos, but they worked with the students to help them improve. 

According the Barbick, setting up the event was not an easy task. “It was a lot of work. In terms of the groups they worked with me once a week and others set aside their own times to rehearse.The parent committee of eight were extremely helpful as well.”

“First of all it was good time and it was really fun and I was really surprised by all the support the jazz band got from others,” says Lauren Van Daff, a student teacher. Every student was part of a certain combo that practiced with Barbick once a week. They also practiced on their own time while outside of class.

Jazz on the Bridge was a huge success and had a good amount of help from the parent committee and the students who attend WY.

“Before the show, we helped set up all the tables and chairs and the stage including the lights and microphone stands. During the show there were people mixing non-alcoholic drinks, people served food, and people greeted,” says Jourdon Simmons, 17’.

After the show, students and parents worked with custodians to clean up. Parents who helped got to sit and enjoy the show while helping with the donations. “The bridge was pretty full. There was a lot of people there and there was a lot of people who donated and I think we raised a lot of money,” says Simmons.

Jazz on the Bridge didn’t have their usual silent auction, however. This year, they have decided to put up a wish list displaying certain items such as new reeds.

“I was on the committee for the wish board, and we collected more than $1200 in donations for things like private lessons and general equipment,” says Carmen Edwards, who is a WY parent and a part of the parent committee.

“The wish list was a way for people to see what their donations will help with specifically, we’re still doing a silent auction but we think we’ll have a bigger audience at the Spring Bash,” says Barbick. One thing on display was a new saxophone, which will be presented at the silent auction in April during the Spring Bash.

Overall, the fundraiser was a huge success. “I thought it was fabulous! The music was great, the food was great. When you went in, it was like walking into a real jazz club,” parent Carmen Edwards stated.

“We loved it because not only was it a fundraiser but it was fun to perform in front of a large audience. And it was well attended which was great!” Barbick stated. 

Additionally, he said that he would like to thank the volunteers who helped out and the parent committee for everything they had done to make the event possible. “I would also like to thank Dr. Kenner for attending and for her support.”