Climate Strike in Chicago

Alexandra Steadman

This Friday, September 20th, youth activists in Chicago will be leading a rally in support of the Global Climate Strike. This mass strike will be taken place in over 500 national cities, as well as 150 countries. The rally in Chicago will start at Grant Park, at the intersection of Columbus Drive and Roosevelt Road at 11 a.m. on Friday. From there, demonstrators will march to Federal Plaza, where a rally will be held, featuring special performances and speeches. The Global Climate Strike’s primary purpose is to spread awareness for the cause, as well as press the government to sign the Green New Deal

The Beacon asked three students the following questions: “What do you know about the climate strike?” and “Will you be attending the September 20th rally?”

Chloe Hunt ‘21 said, “I know that it’s students coming together to promote climate change awareness, and I won’t be attending the rally on Friday because I have academic obligations that day.” 

Ella Kadish ‘22 said something similar, “I know that the climate strike is to enforce harsher laws so our planet can be saved from global warming. I know it’s super important for me to attend on Friday to support this cause but I’m not 100% sure if I can attend because of school.” 

It’s unfortunate that many students cannot attend due to academic obligations, though the fact that most students do know about the strike and the cause is the most important thing. Maddie Byun ‘20 added, “I know that it’s a strike to encourage a Green New Deal, and I really hope to attend.” This strike is another monumental step for climate change activists, and any student who has the opportunity to attend should. The climate can’t wait, neither should we.