Students hold to their First Amendment rights at Woman’s March

Mia Bonds and Katie Eppley

Mia Bonds
Protest Signs

The below is an interview amongst several students who participated in one of the Women’s marches around America. The interviewers are Katie Eppley 17’ and Mia Bonds 17’. The interviewees are Susan Huerta 17’, George Vassilatos 17’ and Jeremy Liskar 16’. Katie and Mia asked Whitney Young students about their participation in the protests and their opinion on the different ways others see the protests.

Where was the march you participated in and how did you hear about it?

J.L: I participated in the march in DC. A friend of mine informed me of the opportunity and I immediately was on board.

G.V: I was the most involved in was the J20 resist Trump march. It started in Daley plaza, as we marched down to the (Trump) tower. It was organized by The Movement for the 99%, in tandem with a broad coalition of leftist groups, from Socialist Alternative to Black Lives Matter, to the Chicago Students Union. I helped organize the CPS student component and marshalled.

What’s your take on the media coverage of the protests?

J.L: …the press did a good job covering the marches and giving them a lot of attention considering the millions of participants worldwide. However, I will say the new administration failed to acknowledge the protests, which is quite concerning.

S.H: I didn’t appreciate how the media constantly shined light on the profanity of the posters people brought. Only a small portion of the posters had curse words. Most (of the signs) were quoting Trump; that should of have reflected on him not our protest.

In all honesty was this protest a peaceful one or a violent one?

J.L: This was clearly a peaceful protest. Everyone there seemed to have a positive intention, with the goal of protecting and improving their own lives as well as the lives of others.

G.V: This protest was largely peaceful. We took the streets, but tear gas wasn’t brought out–which was fortunate because we weren’t looking for blood.

How do you feel when people refer to protesters as “Babies throwing a tantrum?”

J.L: I would tell those people to take a look at history. Change occurs when people make their voices heard. The Civil Rights Movement did not come about because people sat at home and did nothing. People went out into their respective communities and made their discontent clear.

G.V: We weren’t marching to contest the results of the election, and we sure as hell weren’t marching in support of Clinton. We were taking to the streets to demonstrate to the incoming administration that we will forcefully reject any measures that target our communities. The march was a threat; we will fight back and organize if you push us…. It’s important to realize that without marches, without physically taking the streets, the people have nothing.

S.H: We have a right to protest, it’s constitutional! We’re not protesting about anything irrelevant
We’re standing up for civil rights!

Why did you march?

J.L: I marched because the incoming administration has given me reason to be concerned about the social progress in our country. I wanted to be out there to represent the people from all walks of life that are being marginalized; and finally, I want to make sure the new administration knows that we will not go down without a fight.

G.V: I marched, walked-out, and marshalled because I fundamentally believe that it is critical for each and everyone of us to take a stand for what we believe in.

S.H: I marched because I will never believe I am lesser or unworthy because I am a female.

A lot of students feel that their voices must be recognized. They work hard to make sure their lives have meaning.  They keep in mind the words of Martin Luther King Jr., “Our lives start to end the moment we are silent about the things that matter”.

Mia Bonds & Katie Eppley