Sign Language is Left Unheard

Mia Bonds, Katie Eppley, and Nadia Strong

asl

American Sign Language is Left Unheard

For many years, Whitney Young offered American Sign Language (ASL) as a world language credit for their students. Now, it is only offered as an elective credit. Many students question how they will interact with students who are hard of hearing; the answer given in Kenner’s Korner was, “We do not have many offerings of sign language classes, however there are online resources and outside classes available to students to learn the language.” Therefore, some people have taken it upon themselves to join a club that teaches American Sign Language and gives the opportunity of interacting with such diverse learners.

This club has about thirty members and they are all eager to learn how to communicate with students who are deaf or hard of hearing. Currently there is one deaf student in this club who communicates with those eager to learn. The club’s President, Alexa Soto ‘18 says, “We’re trying to get more (deaf students), but it’s hard because the school offers them rides to school on a school bus, so they have to get back home on the school bus and they can’t do that if they stay after.” These are some of the obstacles ASL Club have to face just to keep the club operating.

When students originally planning on taking American Sign Language as a world language credit were asked if they were given enough information as to why they aren’t able to take the class anymore, most responded negatively. Though they were aware of the budget cuts that have plagued the Chicago Public School system, they felt as though they should have been given more of an explanation as to why ASL was on the chopping block. Alexandra Dschida ‘17 said, “I knew about budget cuts from the news, but ASL students weren’t even told that the class was cut until right before school started. I got my schedule and saw that ASL wasn’t on it and I didn’t know if it was a mistake until a few days before we came back.” Taylor Gelderman ‘17, felt similarly. She said, “I would have appreciated more notice and a more concrete justification as to why they had to take away such a valuable and exclusive language class that you really can’t find elsewhere. If there is another reason as to why the class was cut, I would like to know.”

In attempt to answer that question, we sat down with Mrs. Vita Scott-Harris, Whitney Young’s programmer. She told us,  “Most universities at this point do not accept American Sign Language as a world language anymore so we’re just moving toward offering classes that students can get (college) credit in.”

Not being able to take American Sign Language as a class was difficult for many, but some students found a way around it, by joining ASL Club. ASL Club members run off of compassion, empathy and eagerness and meet on Wednesdays in room 301.