Spring Bash raises $147,000 for WY

Aram Wilkinson, Staff Reporter

Friends of Whitney Young put on the annual Spring Bash fundraiser at the Grossinger Auto Complex on Feb 20. The event on Feb 20 was open to all WY parents who purchased a $50 ticket. It featured a raffle with the main prize being a new Chevy electric car and a silent auction with over 50 baskets.

While the raffle and silent auction was the main focus of the event, there was also a wide variety of food and drinks, all donated to the event from different restaurants and families. The event was a great way socialize with teachers, parents, and coaches.

“We had a nice turnout this year and it was good to see some parents of former students who I haven’t seen in a while now that their kids aren’t in my class,” said Josh Locks, English teacher and JV baseball coach.

The 2014 Spring bash raised $131,000 for our athletic teams, clubs, and academic programs. This year, the event raised about $147,000 and welcomed over 400 parents and faculty.

“What brings people back year after year is the unbelievable quality of the silent auction items, it allows all parents to find things that they will actually use, and give back to the school at the same time,” said Locks.

This year the featured items included a Jahlil Okafor signed Duke jersey, various restaurant gift cards, alcohol packages, and sporting equipment.

“I love this event because it shows how much the faculty and parents care about the school,” said WY parent Joe Rueve. “Towards the end of the night, Dr. Kenner got on the mic and told everyone that we needed to raise $20,000 purely by donations right then and there, and it worked. It was pretty cool.”