English chair and teacher Jim English to retire from WY after 26 years

Kasey Carlson, News Editor

Jim English, chair of the English department and English teacher, is planning to retire at the end of school year. English has been at WY since August of 1988.

“There’s nothing that I haven’t at least tried to do,” says English.

However, he does wish that he had the chance to get to know more of WY’s staff.

“There’s never really time to talk to the maintenance guys, all the people in the Arts Building. We never have time to just sit down and talk,” English says.

According to English, the relationships that he has formed at WY have helped him to become a better and smarter person.

“My favorite part of being at WY has been the opportunity to meet so many interesting students- I’ve learned so much from them,” he says.

Gabriel Oladipo ‘15 has had English as a teacher for both AP Language & Composition and Creative Writing.

“I thought he was a really good teacher, just because he would tell you what you needed to know but also gave you room to explore your writing. It’s more about exploring and crafting,” says Oladipo.

English’s retirement is also occurring after a year of many fresh faces at WY.

“My advice to new teachers is enjoy the wonderful opportunity that is WY, but don’t get intimidated by it. Lean on your colleagues- they are wonderful sources of advice- but don’t be scared to go your own way sometimes,” English says.

Natalie Leki-Albano, English teacher, will be taking over English’s position as head of the WY English department.

On his departure, English says, “I’ll miss everyone here- you’ve all changed me in good ways.”