Whitney Young Chess Team Wins Fourth Straight City Title

Ricardo Roman, Writer

The Whitney Young Varsity won it’s fourth straight city championship. The city championship held this past weekend at Whitney Young solidified the chess team’s dominance this season. In a field of schools including Lane Tech, Walter Payton, and Lincoln Park, both the Varsity and Junior Varsity Chess team managed to go 54 games without losing (52 wins and 2 draws), making it the best showing by a CPS team in recent memory. “I believe that playing at [Whitney Young] really helped us all feel more comfortable” (Daniel Zhang, Class of 2022). This latest showing by the dolphins marks yet another tournament win by the undefeated Dolphins.  “We really have been going off this season, we have a great team this year and I really think this team can go all the way” (Deniz Gulecyuz, Class of 2020). Last year the Dolphins finished second place after a close defeat in the final round of state. Luckily for the chess team they were able to retain 6 out of 8 varsity players while being able to replace them with two outstanding freshman, Aria Hoesley (ranked 8th in the state for her age) and Daniel Zhang. “I am so glad to be a part of such an amazing team. It has always been my dream to play for Whitney Young” (Aria Hoesley, Class of 2022). The dolphins hope to continue their undefeated season as they head into sectionals later this month.