• December 11Holiday Spectacular Concert November 19th

• December 11Choir Concert Wednesday Nov 12th

Netflix Show Cancellations… Why?

2000-2014 Netflix Logo

2000-2014 Netflix Logo

Lauren Norman, Editor

Have you ever fallen victim to Netflix’s cancellations of your favorite shows and movies? Trust me, you’re not the only one. As I’m sure most of you know, every once in a while, Netflix likes to boot some shows and movies off of their website with hardly any rhyme or reason! Well this coming up year, they’re doing it again!

Upcoming this year many popular shows such as (but not limited to)  Marvel’s Daredevil, Orange is the New Black, and American Vandal will be cancelled and taken off of Netflix. Kai Ramirez ‘21 was particularly upset about Daredevil, “There was this one show I was really into, Daredevil. They cancelled it a little while ago and I was sad because I really liked it but I guess there’s nothing I can do about it.” If you’d like to see if your favorite shows or movies are getting cancelled, click here.

The most recent and popular uproar was about the show, Friends, a classic television show about a group of six friends living in Manhattan. After it got out that Netflix would be cancelling everyone’s favorite, there was chaos! Even after Netflix catered to that, spending over $100,000,000 to keep the show, there was still controversy. Those who thought the show was too much of a classic to erase are saying Netflix did the right thing, that it was worth it, and it should be there forever. While those who never really got into it, think it should go and they could’ve spent their money on more and/or better things. Then there are some in the middle, like Eve Taylor ‘19, “I think at some point shows do need to be renewed and removed so more shows can be put on. That acquisition could’ve went towards other new shows because that’s been on there for a while. Don’t get me wrong, I love Friends though!” Many people agree with Eve, $100,000,000 is a lot of money to spend on one show. It gets you thinking, how much would it cost to keep all the shows that get removed or even just a couple? I mean we pay for Netflix right? Even so, in recent months, that price has gone up. So, saying that, there must be enough money to save our favorite movie or tv series, especially if they’re particularly popular, right? Patrice Wilkerson ‘20 feels the same way, “I really liked that movie Beyond the Lights. It was a popular movie too! They got rid of it and I feel like I pay for it so why are you removing stuff? The price keeps going up but they keep taking away shows, that don’t add up.” Personally, I feel the same way. Where is all the money going to? More shows? It can’t be, not all of it. Can we at least take a vote before we make such big decisions? The cancellation of shows really gets you wondering.

But, sadly, you can’t please everyone, and as much as we might want to hate Netflix sometimes, we’re all going to still use it. So let’s suck it up, our favorite shows and movies will come and go. Just make sure you keep up with which shows are getting removed, and binge while you can! Good luck!