New Security Measures

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Security Measures

Juan Karlo Desembrana

Amidst the joy and wonderful holidays, Whitney Young has sadly been infiltrated by threats regarding the safety of not only the student body and the faculty, but also the school’s credibility. On November 30, 2018 students reported a malicious threat written on a bathroom stall in Whitney Young, an inscription saying “You will all pay 12/5” which caused uproar and fear to travel amongst the halls of the school, and as if it wasn’t enough, a second threat was found in a different bathroom 4 days later that carries a similar message.

These threats caused not only students to fear for their safety, but it also brought the spotlight on Whitney Young, showing that although it is a top selective enrollment school, it doesn’t mean that it’s free from threats like these. Charlie Oneill ‘19 says “This wasn’t something I expected, specially not from Whitney,” Newspaper publications like the Sun Times, and tv networks like NBC writing articles about it, showing just how serious these threats are being taken.

As a response to this, the school added security measures, and continues to adjust these measures in order to help ensure the safety of its students. From using metal wands, and metal detectors, to random bag checks and the patrolling of police officers in the halls, Whitney Young faculty is doing all it can in order to prevent any possible trouble. Sophie Ljung ‘19 comments on these security measures saying “I’m glad the school is taking this very seriously and has implemented measures in order to make sure the kids are safe.” and Dominick Lococo ‘21 says “the fact that we’ve added all these measures is very relieving, I can go to class without worrying about my safety.” With that being said be sure to wear your ID, and keep a watchful eye. If you see something, say something.