• December 11Holiday Spectacular Concert November 19th

• December 11Choir Concert Wednesday Nov 12th

Ways To De-Stress Over Break

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ways To De-Stress Over Break

calming winter sunset. photo by Naiya Wax-Groot

Naiya Wax-Groot

The holidays are fast approaching, and so is a much needed break from assignments, tests, college applications, AP classes, waking up early, and so much more. It is important to provide balance for yourself on days off from school, to take time to relax. Forms of relaxation very familiar to most, like sleeping or tv, are great things to incorporate into your life, but sometimes branching out into new ways to spend downtime is important. Yoga, reading, making music or art, finding interesting films, and more, are things that can be endlessly explored either alone or with many. AP Comp teacher, Ms. Leki, announces “read something new!” before everyone leaves class. Time spent away from technology can be necessary and beneficial. Yoga is another eye-opening way to spend free time, it’s beneficial both mentally and physically. Whitney Young’s yoga teacher, Ms. Stewart says “yoga is a really useful way to acknowledge stress and get rid of it, through it you can also be more mindful of yourself.” Several students responded saying they “will be doing SO yoga these up-in-coming days off.” Practicing it can really open up perspective. Additionally, exploring forms of art like film, drawing and painting, sculpting, or even creating music are great ways to replace stress with creativity. Check out the Chicago Cultural Center for some free inspiration.