Students advise juniors on how to have a successful year

Andrea Gomes, Arts and Trends Editor

“Don’t freak yourselves out about trying to get the perfect grades and test scores (yes they are important) your anxiousness will cause them to drop and kill your junior year. Y’all are 16/17 have fun this year and don’t worry, you will get into a fantastic college somewhere.” — Erica Harrington ’15

“Check out colleges all year so you have one in mind over the summer. That way you know what you need when school starts for each college you apply too. Visiting colleges gives you huge brownie points on your apps too!” — Donna Gary ’15

“Do your best. Work hard. But remember, you’re not just a number, you’re also a person.” — Otto Steinbrecher ’15

“DO YOUR COLLEGE APPS RIGHT AWAY.” — Simon Black-Toby ’13

“Make sure you study what you need to study.” — Milton Woods ’15

“Actually do your homework because it will help you on your finals.” — Maranda Jenkins ’15

“Don’t cut classes cuz you’ll need teachers to write you letters of recommendation.” — Maranda Jenkins ’15

“Don’t be afraid to fail. We’re brought up thinking that we have to get A’s and B’s, but if you’re not good at something, it’s okay. Try your hardest, breathe, and if it doesn’t work out, then something else will. Success is not about how many times you beat someone at something or how much money or friends you have. It’s about the times you didn’t do so well and was able to pick your head up and realize that that is how life works. Overcoming your weakest moment is what will give you the confidence and strength to be extraordinary in your strongest. Good luck!” — Cydia Flowers ’14

“Take the practice essays teachers give you seriously, because, even if you don’t use them, it helps you figure out how to sell yourself to colleges.” — Deja Jenkins ’15

“Make sure you’re friends with someone thats friends with someone who has a car.” — Nikolaj Rieser ’15

“Don’t stress out too much about tests and college; that being said, don’t neglect them either. Take advantage of the great resources Whitney Young provides, like college info sessions and test prep, to make this transition year easier. Some say junior year is the worst, but if you work smart and don’t stress, it can be the best.” — Chris Pieper ’14