• December 11Holiday Spectacular Concert November 19th

• December 11Choir Concert Wednesday Nov 12th

E.coli Outbreak

Caitlin Smith

On September 19, 2018, the US Department of Agriculture stated that Cargill Meat Solutions issued a recall of more than 130,00 pounds of ground meat due to a deadly E. coli outbreak. Currently, eighteen people have become sick due to the E. coli outbreak. One person is dead. These contaminated packages of meat have been distributed nationwide. The USDA inspection mark on the package states “EST. 86R”.

Within the past ten years, there have been 27 reports of an E. coli outbreak. So far, there have been two this year alone. The symptoms of an E. coli infection typically begin three or four days after exposure to the bacteria. However, it is possible to become ill as soon as one  day after being exposure. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine or medication that can protect someone from the E. coli illness.

According to the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Services (FSIS), the FSIS states its concern that “some product may be frozen and in consumers’ freezers. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.” The FSIS also advises that all consumers regularly check the meat temperature and to only consume meat that has been cooked to at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit.