Advice from a exiting senior

Lajada Douglas

High school ending feels so surreal. It feels like only yesterday Whitney Young’s halls were new and I panicked at everything. Freshman year, I actually walked into to wrong classroom and sat because I thought lunch ended early. Up until two days later that was the most embarrassing thing I thought I could encounter during these four years. “I was upset by so many unnecessary things girl that’s why I had to graduate early,” Anana Upton ‘17. Sitting here thinking, this DubTV editor and graduating senior came up with 3 things that every high schooler should know that will hopefully make these years easier.

1. It’s not that serious.

I’ve come across so many students freaking out and thinking their lives were ending over coincidences or comeuppances that truth be told sounded pretty awful. But a week or two later the students always come out the better for it and a year later, in a new chapter of their high school career they barely remembered the incident. You are in high school and at the most resilient age for academic and social catastrophes. You’ll get out on top of it before these four years are over and you’ll wonder why you even let yourself stress and get acne over it.

1. Ask for help!

Teachers say it over and over again and it’s totally embarrassing when you feel as though you’re the only one not getting with the program. But what are you gonna gain from not asking for help? Especially when the teacher moved on further in the lesson and you’re well on your way to getting a 34 on your test. 9 times out 10 someone else has the same question and you’ll be their hero for asking. Asking for help also spans outside of the reaches of academia. If your mental or social health is impacted, don’t feel afraid to open up about it. The counselors are at the school because everything you feel and go through are valid.

1. Be smart with your stupid decisions

A contradiction if there ever was one, but I’m serious. You’re in high school, you’re gonna want to do stupid things believe me and I support you wholeheartedly. Because there are safe ways to fool around and try out new things. Interested in sex? Find out your safe options (there is more than male condoms and the pill form of birth control out there). Want to drink? Okay make sure you don’t drive and keep a hold of your cup the whole night. Want to fall in love? Make sure you’re emotionally prepared for any outcome. Wanna touch some drugs? Make sure you trust who you’re getting them from and know every effect they can potentially have on your body. Do what you can to protect yourself.

Alright students! Thanks for reading my PSA! “Wow, I wish I would of had these,” Emily Garcia ‘18 I hope you enjoy high school with all its fast paced lessons and highs and lows! Sincerely someone who is ready to get the heck outta here!