Girls Lacrosse Senior Night

Photo of all the seniors, courtesy of Erin Choi

Erin Choi, Editor

Last Tuesday, May 2nd, the Whitney Young Girls Lacrosse team hosted their senior night at Rockne Stadium against Trinity High School. The girls team has had an awesome season so far, having lost only two games within the city conference. A total of six seniors were honored that night, including  Abby Dore, Keren Gekker, Tiffany Gradzki, Eli Medici,Jamie Su and myself The game started off slowly, and the first goal (made by our own Eli Medici) wasn’t scored until several minutes in. When the pace started to pick up, Trinity gained the lead. In a sudden turn of events after a seemingly beautiful and sunny day, the game had to be paused about halfway through the first half due to lightning. And then after the lightning didn’t let up, the game would have to be discontinued and neither team would win or lose.

On a much lighter note, several fans came out to support us and cheer us on during our ceremony which occurred before the game. All six seniors walked underneath the blue and orange balloon arch and were handed posters and bouquets from their “little sisters” on the team. Jamie Su ’18 said this about the girls on the team who helped put everything together, “They went above and beyond in such a limited time. Everything was perfect. I loved it and I’m pretty sure we all loved it.” And even though the game had to be cancelled, fans and family stuck around afterwards to toss the ball around for fun and eat cake and pizza. “I wasn’t really sure if I was going to come out at first but I’m really glad I did and I had a great time. The cake smacked” said Sophie Ljung ’19 on attending and the food. I really couldn’t have had a better senior night and I’m glad this will be one of the last memories I’ll have with the team.