Coming Out Tips

Enrique Fuentes, Editor

Friday March 17, 2018 was the premiere of the new movie Love, Simon. The movie follows the life of typical Simon Spier, played by Nick Robinson, a teenage boy in high school.  Simon has one secret though, he’s gay. Love, Simon was based off  the book Simon Vs. The Homosapien Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Love, Simon is one of the few movies ushering in a new age of acceptance and representation in the media. I believe it could be a movie a lot of young people take their parents to as their coming out moment. This is even a moment for actors to tell the world their secret.

Coming out is a big event for many in the LGBT+ community. It’s announcing to the world, or your closest friends and family, an aspect of your identity. For some people coming out is a turned into a big event, but for others it’s very casual. Simon Spier exclaims, “I’m supposed to be the one that decides when and where, and who knows, that’s supposed to be my thing,” shedding light on the significance of being able to come out on your own terms in one of the most emotional scenes of the movie.

Coming out can be a frightening and exhilarating moment in the life of a queer person. It’s important to come out in a safe, welcoming environment. Margaret Smith ‘19 notes, “ I came out to my friends because I felt safe around them and it’s important for everyone to feel safe in their community.”

Coming out is not a mandatory experience. It’s up the individual to decide whether or not they want to make that choice of revealing themselves to the world all at once, or deciding if they owe anyone an explanation of who they really are.  An anonymous source says,when asked if they ever had a significant coming out moment, “I never felt the need to come out. I don’t have to explain myself to everyone; let them figure it out because they want to.”

“It’s not just a single event either,” says Joe Radinsky ‘19, “ a majority of the time it’s little small ones. First to friends, then families, teachers, even sometimes random people you just met.” The biggest coming out moment though, is being able to come out to yourself. When you’ve finally figured yourself out and everything feels like it clicks together.

So if you’re thinking about coming out soon, give this article some thought. Maybe you can take them to see this movie. Love is love.