Commercial Conspiracy

Terrie Briggs, Student Editor

This year’s Super Bowl featured the New England Patriots and  the Philadelphia Eagles. The game as well as the halftime show gained a lot of  attention but the Super Bowl commercials received equal, if not more, attention from the viewers. Car commercials are expected every year but this year Ram provided us with a commercial that caused commotion on social media. The commercial played on the company’s slogan “Built to Serve” by using an excerpt from Martin Luther King’s “The Drum Major Instinct” given on February 4, 1968. Not only was the speech delivered on the same day as the super bowl this year, the excerpt talked about greatness deriving from one’s ability and willingness to serve others. On the surface, the speech emphasized the company’s slogan and attempted to resonate with the audience but not everyone felt positive or inspired by the commercial. Wynter Buckner ‘20 stated, “The commercial made me a little uncomfortable because I felt that it tried too hard to connect such a powerful figure such as Martin Luther King Jr. to a car and it did not fit.” Likewise, officials from The King Center tweeted about the use of the speech insisting that they had no parts in authorizing the company to use the speech and refused to be associated with the commercial. Despite the outpour of distaste, the commercial did have some supporters.  Eric D. Tidwell, the licenser of the King estate, stated, “Once the final creative was presented for approval, it was reviewed to ensure it met our standard integrity clearances.We found that the overall message of the ad embodied Dr. King’s philosophy that true greatness is achieved by serving others.” Alana Lay ‘20, agreed by stating, “I though the commercial was interesting as it caught your attention with the use of MLK in the background. I did not have a problem with it.” Whether or not people liked the commercial is split but the fact that Ram received excessive publicity from this stunt is evident. Maybe next time they should just take a different approach.  

Martin Luther King & Quote