Essence of India

Lajada Douglas, Editor

“The meaning of essence is ‘that which makes something what it is.’ While you are here, our wish is that you experience a culinary and cultural passage to India. From the multiple Indian spices used in our dishes to the dining room décor that represents the distinctive regions and artwork of India, our goal is to surround you with the “Essence of India”’

This quote is from the Essence of India  website and it fully embodies the culture with this small, beautiful restaurant. With 17 tables, the family owned restaurant is located in Lincoln Square at 4601 N. Lincoln Avenue. The food is absolutely delicious and if you don’t trust my opinion, the food establishment is highly recommended on Yelp.com. And if you’re not sure of Indian food as a whole, I encourage you to try! Mr. Gucciardi (English teacher) says,  “Indian food is a good alternative to your traditional takeout fare, my favorite is lamb vindaloo  with some naan and a couple veggie samosas.” The spices are something new and bring complementary yet contrasting flavors to your mouth. Even though Indian food is very tasty, it’s not for everyone. Angel Silva ‘18 commented “I like the curry but i don’t really like the spices that they use.” But if you’re not sure of the spice levels in your diet, Essence of India has 3 spice levels for your enjoyment! Indian food also isn’t just sauces and lamb. There are decadent rice dishes like biryani. Mr. Buchan (Student teacher) says “Oh it’s delicious, biryani, naan, I don’t know, a lot of the spices they use really make it stand out.” Either way, Indian food is versatile and amazing and there’s no better place to try it than Essence of India.

Tasty Terik approved!