• June 1Final Exams for Underclassmen begin on June 12th

• June 1Senior Graduation June 15th @Arie Crown Theater

• June 1Amira Young Wins State 100 meter and 200 meter races

• June 1Senior Prom June 1st, Drake Hotel

The best art class to take at Whitney Young

Calyn O'Banion, Editor

Whitney Young is full of the brightest and most artistic minds in the nation. Our Art department displays various different projects around the school each year. If you’re new to Whitney Young, or if you’ve been here for a few years, I’m sure you are wondering which art class you would enjoy taking the most. Depending on your art preferences you may be leaning towards Ceramics, Mixed Media, or even AP Sculpture, but have you ever heard of Creative Arts Studio? Creative Arts Studio, or Best Buddies Art, is an art class with some of the most amazing people you will ever meet. In Best Buddies Art, you will be matched with a ‘buddy’ from our school’s diverse learning department. Throughout the school year, you and your buddy will work on various art projects together in this class. You, as a buddy leader, will get to design your very own lesson plan and teach the class. The picture above shows one of the buddies from the class, Eric Fontega ‘20. Eric was working on a tie dye shirt, which was the lesson that I taught the class. Eric had this to say about his project, “I like my shirt because I got to use lots of colors.” I’m sure many of the other buddies had similar feelings! Tie dye shirts aren’t the only thing we do in the class. So far, we have made ceramic mugs, watercolor paintings, concrete mosaics, and several more. If any of these art projects have peaked your interest, I encourage you to talk to your counselor about adding Best Buddies Art to your schedule for next year!