Choir Concert Review

Enrique Fuentes, Editor

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 the Whitney Young Choir performed their annual winter concert. Performing were a plethora of students ranging from their first year members, to singers who have been in choir for five or six years. There was even a performance by a new group known to Whitney Young as The Young Voices, a student made octet that many hope to see again in the spring concert at the end of the year.

Ms. Jeong, aka “Ms. J”spent a lot of time working with students in Beginning, Intermediate, Concert and Chamber Choir to make this year’s show spectacular. The concert included classic songs such as, Baby it’s Cold Outside, Carol of the Bells, Silent Night, and even Joyful, Joyful from the movie Sister Act. There were solos from fellow students, Micah Mixon, McKennen Campbell ‘19, and even including rapping from seniors Darnell Dowd ‘18 and Dixon O’Banion ‘18.

“Overall I thought the concert was really great. I loved the mix of different holiday songs and the inclusion of everyone,” said Margaret Smith ‘19 after the show. The choir didn’t only include Christmas songs, but songs about Hanukkah and even a song in Spanish.

“We worked really hard to put on this show. I’m so glad so many people came out to support us,” exclaimed Jan Balan ‘18. The theater was filled with parents and students showing support for the choir.

If you missed this concert, then you still have a chance to support the choir. This can be done either by donating so the choir can get a new piano, or showing up to the spring concert.