Review of first quarter by the new students of Whitney Young

Calyn O'Banion, Editor

First quarter is clearly a tough time for all students. It is even more of a challenge when you’re the new kid in school. I personally struggled during my seventh grade year here at Whitney Young, and as I reflected back on that time, I decided to see how this year’s seventh and ninth graders are dealing with the transition from elementary school to high school.

Emma Lynch ‘21, a helpful assistant to Dr. Barnes in the library, had this to say, “My first quarter at Whitney Young was actually really amazing because I met so many new people, and I have made some really great friends. My classes are okay, but I’m honestly looking forward to the softball season so that I can actually feel like a part of the school.” I’m sure many freshman can relate to Emma, but others may feel slightly different. Gus Grider ‘21, an avid video gamer, has had a bittersweet first quarter. He said, “I think Whitney Young is a good school and I’ve made some friends already, but I’m honestly ready for this school year to be over because I don’t really like my classes that much.” If you feel like Gus, I can assure you that you will find some enjoyable classes throughout your years here.

I also encountered some new seventh graders to get their perspectives on this school year so far. Northside native Emmett Murphy ’23 shared, “It’s been really good, I really enjoyed it. I think I definitely became more responsible because I have so much more freedom here. I loved the homecoming week and pep rallies and it was all just really interesting. My classes are definitely harder than at my old school because the teachers here expect us to be the best. but i’ve been working hard and I think I’m gonna do really well here.” Emmett’s friend, Julien Stiehl ’23, mentioned, “In the beginning of the year I would always get lost, but now I feel more acclimated to the school and I’ve made new friends. I’m excited to start the basketball season on the 7th grade team and I can’t wait to see what fun this school year will bring.”

Listening to the experiences of these new students has really made me reflect on my time here at Whitney Young. If you’re a new student, I hope that your start here has been a smooth transition. If not, try to stay positive because you will eventually find your place here at Whitney Young.