Boys basketball is off to a great start

Isaiah Holmes

On November 21, 2017, the Whitney Young Boys Varsity basketball team started their season. They participated in the 205 Tip-Off Classic in Rockford, Illinois. The team competed against five teams down in Rockford: Rockford East High School, McArthur High School, Thomas Jefferson High School, Larkin High School, and Auburn High School.

During the first game against Rockford East High School at  Rockford East High School, the Dolphins gained a victory with a score of 72-58. Senior point guard, Xavier Castaneda, had 18 points, and Senior guard, Javon Freeman, and Junior guard, Myles Baker, both had 16 points. Javon Freeman also had 10 rebounds, making it a double-double for him. Baker said, “Our first game was a great experience for the team because we got to play with each other and understand how everyone plays before we play in Chicago.”

The Dolphins continued to earn victories throughout their days in Rockford.

The last game they played in Rockford against Auburn High School was a great game filled with energy from everyone in the gym. It was a home game for the opposing team but the Dolphins did not let that bother them. They out-rebounded the opposing team by 12, having 45 rebounds to their 33. Javon Freeman had 14 points and 5 rebounds. Myles Baker had 14 points and 7 rebounds and Senior guard, Justin Boyd, had 9 points and 10 rebounds.

After the great start in Rockford, Illinois, the team played a game against Fenwick High School in the Like Mike Invitational at Navy Pier. The Dolphins lost a Junior guard, Solomon Oraegbu, to Fenwick’s basketball team this year so this game served as a great way to see how he is doing without the Dolphins. The Dolphins pulled off the win in a very close game, scoring 74 points to Fenwick’s 73. Javon Freeman had Another amazing performance, with  35 points and 8 rebounds. Myles Baker had 13 points and 7 rebounds and Justin Boyd had 7 points and 7 rebounds. Freeman said, “This has been a very challenging week for the team but it proved that we can push through the challenges we are faced with and pull it off.”

The Dolphins look to have a great season this year and are excited to face Vashon High School at the Chicago Elite Classic at 7:30 PM on December 2, 2017 at the UIC Pavilion.