Big Timers

Terrie Briggs, Student Editor

Snapchat-25262511

What’s the first word that comes to your mind when you hear Harvard University? Cornell? or some people that word is “impossible.” Impossible to get in, impossible to fathom, simply impossible. This mentality plagues tons of students applying to colleges yearly. An Ivy League education is considered the cream of the crop for most students and great things do not always come to us easily. Grade point averages, ACT and SAT scores, the perfect essay, interviews, and more are huge factors considered when getting into top schools The stress students face is unimaginable. To add an extra layer most people fall victim to something known as “imposter syndrome”. This mentality includes feeling as if you are not good enough or capable of being considered for certain events in a lifetime. People can fail to recognize their own accomplishments and feel lesser than those in the same situations as them. A lot of times students fail to recognize this syndrome as something they have. “I actually did not know that this had a scientific name until just now when you told me but I definitely can relate to it on a personal level I doubt myself sometimes in this school and when doing important tasks.” said Siauna Respress ‘20.  This mindset causes students to doubt their abilities and in most cases not go after large goals because of it. Not applying to Ivy League colleges because of self doubt is unacceptable. In today’s culture it is important for us to support youth and remind them that they do matter. With more emphasis on self-motivation, students could gain the confidence needed to take bigger risks when applying to college. Angel Davis ‘19 said “I didn’t even consider applying to something like a Harvard because of the big hype placed on the school”.  Students must know that anything is possible if they believe in themselves without falling victim to imposter syndrome. With confidence and support, even Harvard is possible.