Senior athletes sign to college

Isaiah Holmes

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017, Whitney Young students, faculty, family and friends gathered in the conference room to support the nine senior athletes that participated in signing to play their according sports in college. The room was filled the positive vibes and people proud of the signing athletes.

The event started off with Dr. Joyce Kenner, Principal, expressing how proud she was off all of the athletes and then she talked about how grateful she was of all the corresponding coaches. She then had everyone introduce themselves.

Clayton Mendez is a member of the Boy’s Cross Country team here at Whitney Young. He is a very successful individual such that he is the 2017 Illinois State Cross Country Runner-Up recipient. Mendez still made his supporters proud by setting a CPS record in the 1600m by running a 4:11:26. He was proud to announce that he committed to Stanford University to further his athletic and academic career.

Amira Young is a member of the Girl’s Track team here at Whitney Young. She has also been very successful in her craft. She won first place in the State Championship for the 100m and 200m dash in 2015. In 2016, last year, she won first place again for the 100m but not the 200m dash. She also gained the title of All-American for Track and Field. She competed in the USATF National Junior Olympics Championship in 2017 and placed sixth place in the 200m. This season, she looks to defend her titles and she announced her commitment to the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. When asked why she chose the school, she said, “The school was a perfect fit for me. It felt like home and all of the coaches and team members were very welcoming. Minnesota also had my major, Kinesiology, which I thought was great too.”

Kiara Negron is a member of the Girl’s Softball team. She has been on the Varsity team since freshman year and was a member of the 2017 City Championship team. She committed to Concordia University Wisconsin to continue her academic and athletic career.

Ashley Bravo is also a member of the Girl’s Softball team. She has been on the Varsity team since freshman year too. She is a very versatile player on the team, stating that she has played every position in the infield. She was a member of the 2017 City Championship team as well. She was very excited to announce her commitment to Purdue University Northwest.

Maya Popernik is a member of the Girl’s Volleyball team. She has been on the Varsity team since her freshman year and was a part of the 2015 and 2016 City Championship team. She has achieved many things which led her to having great seasons. She proudly committed to Bryant University.

Brooklyn Irvin is also a member of the Girl’s Volleyball team. She has only been on Varsity since her sophomore year and has achieved many things. She plays the position of the setter for the team and has contributed over 2,000 successful sets for the team. When asked why she chose the school she is going to, she said, “The institution was a great fit for me and the environment was just right for me as it will help me thrive as an individual both academically and athletically.” She committed to Hampton University.

Breanna Beck is a member of the Girl’s Basketball team. She has been on Varsity since freshman year. She was a part of the 2014 and 2015 City Championship team and also went downstate last year and placed fourth. She was Varsity captain last year and is currently captain now. She is taking her talents to the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Xavier Castaneda is a member of the Boy’s Basketball team. He has been on Varsity since his freshman year and has accomplished a lot. He played on the AAU Meanstreets team, showcasing his amazing talents during the off-season. He was a major part of the 2017 State Championship team and will be furthering his career at the University of South Florida.

Javon Freeman is also a member of the Boy’s Basketball team. He transferred to Whitney Young after his former school, Seton Academy, closed down. He was also a member of the AAU Meanstreets team. He was another major part of the 2017 State Championship team. He had a dynamic first year with the team and he is looking to earn another State Championship title. He is taking his athletic talents to Valparaiso University.

Everyone is proud of all of the athletes who signed earlier this week. It was a great site to see and will hopefully continue soon.