WY Students Attend Northwestern High School Journalism Day

Camille Argentar

On October 20, ten of Whitney Young’s young journalists took a trip to Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, to represent the school at NU’s High School Journalism Day event. It was the first event of its kind for high school students, hosted by the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern. Student representatives from both The Beacon and DubTV were in attendance, along with Beacon and DubTV supervisor Mr. Rehak. Chicago youth from most CPS high schools attended, including students from Jones, Lane Tech, Walter Payton, and Steinmetz, all of which have outstanding journalism programs along with WY. Students from each school collaborated for participation in the unique sessions that the university offered for the day.

(from left to right) Back Row: Allie Swain ’20, Isabel Shanahan ’19, Callista Gordon ’20
Front Row: Teacher Mr. Rehak, Camille Argentar ’18, Dearborn Plys ’19

Each student had the opportunity to participate in two sessions tailored to their interests, including TV News, Social Media Journalism, and Documentary Film. Each session was taught by a Northwestern professor or expert in the field. Beacon editor Allie Swain ‘20 said that her TV News session was “…so fun! I even got to sit behind their desk and read a story from a real prompter!”

The day ended with a panel of renowned journalists sharing their stories and advice for youth trying to make it as a journalist in a time where the media isn’t trusted by many. The panel included NBA writer Chris Herring, CBS reporter Lauren Victory, and ABC News reporter Will Jones. They offered stellar advice and fun stories, with Herring even performing a bit of his American Idol audition song at the end! We here at The Beacon would like to thank Northwestern University for this amazing opportunity and experience.