Boys Cross Country Team Advances to State

Rahul Mikkilineni, Editor

This past Saturday, October 28th, the Boys Cross Country team ran at their sectional  meet at Lake Park High School as part of their state series.  The top five teams from the meet advanced to the state meet, and our boys got fourth!  They were the only CPS team in 3A to qualify for state.   The boys were led by Clayton Mendez ‘18 who got first overall at the meet with the fastest time across all sectionals.    As of now, he is the fastest runner in the state leading into the state meet.  The second and third place runners on the team were Charlie Nevins ‘19 and Sam Rivera ‘19 respectively.  The next runner for Whitney was Luke Lasley ‘19 and he was followed by Keaton Schwartz ‘19.  The team was capped off by the sixth man, Spencer Nelson ‘19, and the seventh man, Justin Villasenor ‘20. Keaton Schwartz said it best with “We were very happy with the performance today and hope to do well at state next week”. Overall, the course was pretty muddy and the temperature was very cold, but the boys persevered in spite of it.  Now, they look towards the IHSA 3A State Championship this Saturday, November 4th.  This will be their third consecutive state appearance. The race will be held at historic Detweiler Park in Peoria, Illinois.  Come out and support!

The varsity team along with coaches and supporters PC: Keaton Schwartz