Student Suspicion

Terrie Briggs, Student Writer

New to Whitney Young this school year is the African American History class. After a schoolwide petition and constant pressure from the student body, the class has arrived to most people’s pleasure. Finally! A class that would focus in on a group of people that history has made insignificant for so long. A class for the African American students as well as those who would want to learn more of another culture outside of their own. An African American History class…taught by a white man. The announcement of the instructor of the new class rose a lot of eyebrows as well as reservations. How could a white man teach about black history? This is a question that circulated many of the students enrolled in the class’ minds which would make for an interesting and speculative first day of school. The instructor of the class is Mr. Eric Fiksdal who quickly cleared up any doubt students may have had. He provided a detailed analysis of his qualifications as well as intentions to teach the class. His main theme he aims to teach is resistance and all things that fall under that topic. “I think the best way to look at America’s history is through the African American people” stated Mr. Fiksdal on the first day of school. It is the end of the first quarter and Mr Fiksdal has taught some quality information to some students but has more proving to do in the eyes of others. Caitlin Smith ‘19 stated, “In the beginning, I was quite excited about learning about the aspects of history that aren’t usually covered in a common history class. I can’t say that the class has met my expectations yet, but the year is still early and I have learned a few new things about Africa and its ancient civilizations.”  The African American History class was a breakthrough in Whitney Young’s curriculum but some students still believe that more can be done to break through to the students involved in it. With hopeful, eager-to-learn students and an open-minded, more than qualified instructor the class is sure to be a success.

“From the Eye of the Student” Terrie Briggs, Oct. 26, 2017