Pumpkin Spice 5K Coming Up!

Rahul Mikkilineni, Editor

As we dive into October and the season of pumpkin spice lattes, carved pumpkins, and pumpkin pie, the Pumpkin Spice 5K is upon us again! Everyone is welcome to walk or run this year’s event, which will take place on October 22nd and begins and ends in Jackson Park.  Last year, there were around 600 participants, half of whom were students and teachers from Whitney Young.  It was a huge success and everyone there had fun.  The course includes a beautiful lakefront trail in Jackson Park near the Science and Industry Museum.  Post-race benefits includes pumpkin spice treats, coffee, and a DJ!.  Overall, it’s a great experience that many people will return for this year.  Majority of proceeds go towards the Whitney Young Boys and Girls Cross Country team.  The rest goes towards Friends of Whitney Young.  The first 1000 to register receive a Pumpkin Spice race shirt and a goody bag.  Don’t miss out!  Even the Whitney Young Basketball team will be there.  Racers and volunteers alike loved it last year and hope to continue the great spirit this year as well.  Spencer Nelson ‘19, who ran the race last year, noted “That was an awesome experience. Definitely would recommend to anyone who’s looking to have a great time while exercising.”

On October 22nd, runners and walkers alike will toe the line and get ready for one of the most exciting 5Ks of their life! Will you be one of them?

Dr. Kenner and Ms. Zalon enjoying last year’s race Photo courtesy of Pumpkin Spice Organization.

The link to sign up: pumpkinspice5k.com