• December 3The Young Company presents closing night of the Good Times are Killing Me on December 2nd

• December 3Clayton Mendez ('18) places 18th at Nike Cross Nationals

Whitney Young Boys’ Soccer on Fire

Evan Wimberly

The Whitney Young Boys’ Soccer season is well underway and the boys have already made history. 2017 marks the first year that they advanced to the PepsiCo Showdown semifinals. To start off the season they were struggling, said best by Jake Gerenraich ’19, “we were dominating teams but we just couldn’t find the back of the net.” The Dolphins couldn’t get a goal until their third game of the season, when Evan Wimberly finally tallied for a 1-1 tie with Ignatius. The team were still having some finishing woes until there was a formation switch in their fifth game against Stagg High School. They switched to a more offensive formation and were able to win their first game off of a game winner by Esme Mccarthy ’20 for a 2-1 win. He said “I just tried to make sure I got on the end of a beautiful ball from Josue Espinoza ‘18 and I did.” Since then, the Dolphins have been undefeated winning three of their last four games (one tie) and it came at just the right time. They began their run to a Pepsi Showdown championship by defeating Plainfield North and Lincoln-way East. The Dolphins traveled to Lockport on September 14th for the semifinal game of the Pepsi Showdown. Unfortunately, their road to the championship was cut short by a tough 2-1 loss to a strong Lockport team. However, senior captain Josue Espinoza’18, “We have a big season ahead of us!” Recently they have won their last two games by a combined score of 10-3 over Provido West and Sullivan. We wish the team the best of luck on the rest of the season!