A new year for Best Buddies Art

Erica Roy

Photo courtesy of Erica Roy ’18

The 2017-2018 school year has recently begun, and students taking Best Buddies Art are just starting to meet their new buddies for the year. Best Buddies is an organization that creates opportunities, and fun, social, learning environments for kids and teenagers with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Last year, Whitney Young added to the variety of art classes available for students, a multi-media course that integrates the members of best buddies with general education students. This class, taught by Ms. Wax, is designed to build friendships, support systems, and boost creativity in everyone. Although it is only year 2 of Best Buddies Art, it has already gained tons of popularity among the students here at Whitney Young. Camryn Salter ‘18, is overwhelmed with excitement to be taking her second year of this class. “I love Best Buddies Art! You get to meet so many new friends from all different background and experiences. The hardest part about the class is having to say goodbye to all of your buddies at the end of the year.” The students in Best Buddies Art participate in a variety of different activities and art forms, including drawing, painting, ceramics, collaging, creating their own unique lessons, and much more. Be sure to program for Best Buddies Art next Spring!

Photo courtesy of Erica Roy ’18