Student Profile: Mariah Helm

Natalia Swack

Mariah Helm is one of the many seniors who will be graduating Whitney Young in the upcoming weeks. You might know Mariah as one of the leading defenders of the Whitney Young Girls Soccer team, but there’s a lot more to her than that!  Let’s find out a little bit more about her.

Q: What neighborhood do you live in?
A: Hyde Park

Q: What is the best part about being a Dolphin?
A: The best part is the people. I never thought I would have fun going to school, but the people at WY keep me smiling.

Q: What is the worst part about being a Dolphin?
A: The worst part is that you sometimes feel dumber when you’re surrounded by such smart and talented people, so it’s easy to lose sight of your own value.

Q: What is an adversity you have had to deal with?
A: There are times when I have to work through periods of extreme stress, but other than that I’ve been very fortunate during high school and I haven’t had to deal serious adversities that many students face.

Q: Do you have any future plans?
A: I’m going to Wheaton College in the Fall, but I’m undecided about my major or what type of job I want.  I think there’s pressure in high school to figure your life out right away, but I’m okay with letting things unfold and not having a concrete path to follow.

Q: What interests have you developed over the years?
A: Taking AP Lit with Dr. Foy has made me appreciate reading and analyzing literature.  I had never been a big reader before I took the class, but I hope what I’ve learned and my new interest in reading is something that will definitely stick with me for years.

Q: What do you spend the most of your time on that others might not consider as productive?
A: I spend A LOT of time involved with my Church.  I’m a student leader, lead music, and volunteer with the kid’s program.  Some people would probably think it’s time wasted but I’ve grown a lot doing it and have been able to see how the church reflects Christ.

Q: What particular memory stands out to you from your time in high school?
A: I remember freaking out in the middle of Red House on the first day of school Freshman year.  I had just come from taking a Trig diagnostic test where I just wrote my name on it and turned it in because I didn’t know any of the answers.

Q: What advice do you have for younger students?
A: Take your education seriously, but also find time to have fun and enjoy your time in high school!!

Mariah has loved the past four years at Whitney Young, and is extremely excited for college! The valuable skills she has learned at Whitney will definitely pay off in the future.