Whitney Young Freshman Mentors

Sydney Baer

If you’re interested in helping freshmen acclimate to one of the most stressful years of high school, Freshman Mentors is the program for you! Freshman Mentors is a program that provides support and guidance to incoming freshman over the summer before their freshman year as well as throughout the school year. Sophomores through seniors are eligible to be Mentors and must be involved at school and serve as good role models. Mentors who are accepted into the program will help with Freshman Orientation over the summer along with Iron Oaks, which is a team building activity for the freshmen. Mentors must also dedicate time to visit their assigned freshman divisions during the school year and check in on them. Being a Mentor is a very rewarding experience and the freshmen would agree that Mentors have made their adjustment to a new school significantly easier. Wyatt Reynolds, current freshman, said, “My Mentor was very supportive and gave me great advice throughout the school year.” Many of the Mentors also really enjoy the program and reapply each year. Gabi Saul ‘17, a current Mentor, said “I love visiting my division and getting to know my freshmen. I like to bring them cookies as a treat when I visit them.” Thank you Mentors for all of your hard work and support at Whitney Young!