• June 1Eighth Grade Finals on Thursday, June 8th and Friday, June 9th

• June 1NHS Induction on Tuesday, June 6th

• June 1Senior Prom on Friday, June 2nd at 7:00pm

• June 1Senior Finals on Monday, June 5th and Tuesday, June 6th

• May 22Choir Concert on Wednesday, May 31 at 7:00 pm

Join the Girls Track and Field Team!

Iris Postma

The Girls Track and Field team at Whitney Young is like no other. While there are many successful teams at WY, the Girls Track and Field team is especially notable- they have won the city championship the past three years in a row. The team is very diverse, both in skills, personalities, and opinions. In reference to their most recent championship win, Maniga McClendon ‘17 says “We were more diverse when it came to having people in every event and scoring in every event, which got us the W.” Although Whitney Young is full of very successful teams, the girls track team is also special because it is a no cut team. This means that everyone, regardless of their skill or level of past experience, gets to be a part of the team, which is why it is so big and so fun. Helena Dickens ‘18 says that she loves the team because through it, she has “met so many different people that I would not have met otherwise.” Members of the team have the opportunity to chose what they want to compete it, be it sprint events, distance events, jumps, or throws. The indoor track season begins in February, but conditioning for people who do not run cross country begins at the beginning of the school year, Tuesdays and Thursdays in Skinner Park and slowly builds up to every day later in the season, which ends in May.