• June 1Eighth Grade Finals on Thursday, June 8th and Friday, June 9th

• June 1NHS Induction on Tuesday, June 6th

• June 1Senior Prom on Friday, June 2nd at 7:00pm

• June 1Senior Finals on Monday, June 5th and Tuesday, June 6th

• May 22Choir Concert on Wednesday, May 31 at 7:00 pm

Spotlight on Whitney Young Baseball

David Rivera

At Whitney Young there are two levels to the baseball team. The head coach of JV is Mr. Bill Heaney, and the head coach of varsity is our very own athletic director Mr. Chris Cassidy. The tryouts are in late February, and the season spans from early March to late May. Team members can expect to have practice or games everyday, Monday through Saturday during the season. Both teams play approximately 25 games, and the varsity team takes a spring break trip every other year. This year the boys traveled to Orlando, Florida, and played at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex.

Casey Coates 20’, a varsity starter as a freshman, said his favorite part of the season was the spring break trip. He noted that the best part wasn’t even the games themselves, “Rooming with the upperclassmen was the best; I’m really going to miss the seniors.” Besides the spring break trip, the team also coordinated a barbecue, an alumni day, and a community service outing this year.

Community service trip to St. Thomas soup kitchen

Dixon O’Banion 18’, a three year member of the program, praised the team culture and how welcoming everyone was. He stated, “Everyone looks out for each other, and there’s really nothing better than playing baseball with all of my closest friends.

The team is always looking for new members, and if your love of the game isn’t incentive enough to tryout, then consider the construction of a brand new turf field (Estimated completion time: 2019) as an extra push.