5 Reasons Why Seniors Shouldn’t Stay After AP Tests

Denise Azadeh, Editor

Every year students and teachers at Whitney Young face the same issue: there’s still a month of school left after AP testing. Year after year this dreaded month is filled with pointless tasks and chiding at students that “the year isn’t over yet!” Students lose their motivation to come to school, but for seniors it is particularly bad. In light of this serious issue, here are the top 5 reasons why seniors shouldn’t have to come to school after AP testing:

There’s nothing left to prepare us for.

We’ve taken the tests we’ve been working so hard for all year. At this point, even if we learn more our scores are what they are. It’s not like our teachers will imparting their knowledge on us after the tests. It’s movies and other fun activities from here on out.

Our classes won’t be productive.

You know we’re going to be disruptive in class, we know we’re going to be disruptive in class, all the other grades know we’re going to be disruptive in class. We’ve taken all the important tests, at this point all we want to do is eat, sleep, and talk.

What more could we possibly learn?

We’ve sat through four (six for some) whole years in this school’s classrooms. That’s over 700 days of school and 5,100 hours of instructional time. Do we really need the extra twenty days? We’ve taken multiple courses, absorbed knowledge, and will graduate much smarter than when we first started – at this point, a month probably won’t make much of a difference.

We’re slowly killing our teachers.

Consider our poor teachers in this whole mess. They’re forced to teach multiple classes a day of apathetic students. It must kill them inside. At least if you let seniors out a month early you’ll spare our teachers the pain of feeling like glorified babysitters.

We’ve done this for three years already, just let us leave.

We’ve put in our time, sitting through the last month of school for three years in a row. It’s time to cut us some slack and let us escape the torture this time. Think of it as our parting goodbye gift.

In conclusion: please don’t make us stay at school after APS, we’d really like to be at home. We love the school and the people, but it’s time for us to leave.