Education Emancipation: A Benefit Concert for Bouchet Elementary

Nadia Strong

Black and brown schools on the south and west sides of Chicago deserve more opportunities. Black and brown schools on the south and west sides of Chicago deserve more opportunities. Black and brown schools on the south and west sides of Chicago deserve more opportunities! Lack of resources lead to developmental deficiency and cyclical poverty. The state of Illinois fails to give our children an equitable education, causing economic stability within black and brown communities to be under siege. Bouchet Elementary Math & Science Academy is one of many under resourced elementary schools on the southside of Chicago.

Parents who have children attending Bouchet Elementary have great things to say about it, but can only hope for certain opportunities made available to other schools to be possible for their children. One parent said, “This school is amazing. The teachers here are phenomenal! They always make the students and parents feel involved. I really wish they had an actual art class.” An art class isn’t the only fundamental part of an education Bouchet is lacking. Bouchet also seeks to have a 1:1 student to Chromebook ratio, non-tutoring after school programs, and students are in need of school supplies and uniforms. People in the community have noticed this and have made it their mission to help Bouchet and in turn raise awareness for under funded schools all over Chicago.

The I Project is a non-profit organization founded by Eva Lewis, a student at Walter Payton College Prep. It was made to uplift those who are affected by oppressive institutions. Through variations of art and political discussion, the narratives of those affected by systemic oppression will be rewritten. Eva said, “Bouchet Elementary has a 99% low income, and a 12% homeless population. Children can’t afford clothes, or school supplies. Much of the funding has to go toward things children are expected to come in with, which is why they need money for educational resources.” The state of Illinois hasn’t passed an education budget in over two years. Schools have been surviving, barely.

The I Project presents, “Education Emancipation,” advocating for freedom through education for all children, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, gender, or any other intersections. A part of this campaign is a concert, where all proceeds benefit Bouchet Elementary, on May 20th. Other parts of the campaign include donations from the general public and corporate donations. Performers include: Ric Wilson, Ausar, Daryn Alexus, Christian JaLon, Kopano, and special guests. Kopano, a senior at Whitney Young, is performing at the benefit concert for Bouchet Elementary and said, “Since we cannot rely on the state, or the city to spread money equitably, we have to raise it ourselves. Help the kids.”

Education proves to be the root of the issue, when discussing systemic oppression Black and brown children face in adulthood. As a community, we can stop the cycle of inequitable funding on the south and west sides of Chicago, by cultivating our own economic stability. Help provide the children of tomorrow with the education they are entitled to. To donate: https://www.gofundme.com/educationemancipation .