Spread the Word to End the Word!

Jessi Bonadurer

Jack Mayor gives speech at Whitney Young assembly.

Spread the Word to End the Word is a global movement to end the use of the r-word, which is very derogatory and offensive towards people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Whitney Young High School has embraced the Spread the Word campaign. There has been two Best Buddies assemblies with a phenomenal speech from Jack Mayor, a junior at Neuqua Valley High School and a Best Buddies Ambassador. Best Buddies is an international non-profit organization that advocates for acceptance, inclusion, and friendship for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Mayor shares his experience with Best Buddies explaining, “Life with Autism is difficult. I wake up with anxiety and I go to bed with it every night… I sat alone at lunch and had no friends… But joining Best Buddies changed my life. I made a bunch of new friends. I am happy…” Mayor encourages all students to get involved with Best Buddies or Special Olympics. Referring back to the r-word, Mayor describes it as, “A word that does so much damage. A word that makes me feel like less than what I am… It chips away at someone’s confidence and has so many negative things attached… It labels my special needs… It is offensive to every person who has a disability.”

On Thursday, March 30th during all lunch periods Best Buddies will be holding our annual Spread the Word to End the Word exposition on the arts bridge. Please stop by to see some wonderful performances by students in our diverse learning department and sign our banner, pledging not to use the r-word. Also, we will be selling Best Buddies t-shirts for $10, cookies, and raffle tickets for items such as Cubs Tickets! The entire school will wear light blue on Thursday to show support for Best Buddies and the disability rights movement. We will be taking a school picture that will hung up. Please join us, and spread the word to end the word!