PARCC testing coming to WY

PARCC testing coming to WY

This March, Whitney Young, along with other CPS schools, will be participating in Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) testing. This will be the first year the test is administered only to third through eighth grade. In prior years, PARCC had also been administered to ninth graders, but after a lack of participation, high school testing has been cut. Because of WY’s Academic Center, our school will still be participating in PARCC. However, this year’s PARCC testing will not interfere with the high schoolers’ normal schedule.

If you’re wondering what PARCC testing is, you’re not alone. In recent years Whitney Young has had an exceptionally large amount of students opt out of taking PARCC, primarily due to a lack of understanding about what it is and why students are being asked to take it. According to Ms. Zalon, WY’s Assistant Principal and Test Coordinator, “PARCC is the new wave of assessment in a few states, Illinois being one of the predominant states. The format is different than most tests in terms of the questions… they require that students know more information and know how to use that information in order to get good scores.” More importantly, low participation rates for the PARCC test can result in financial sanctions or other punitive actions by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). In this financial crisis, Zalon says that she wouldn’t be surprised if the ISBE started to withhold funding. It would be the first time that funding was withheld for low student participation rates.

In an email sent through Edline in March, 2016, Assistant Principal Soto wrote, “ISBE requires that all districts and schools test at least 95% of eligible students. Last year (2015) WY tested approximately 40% of those eligible to test.” According to Whitney Young’s ISBE report card, PARCC participation increased to an average of 50% in 2016, which is much better, but still not ideal.

Realistically, it is not difficult to understand why seventh and eighth grade students would be inclined to opt-out of the test. Most of their March and April months are filled with standardized tests – some of their required tests include the NAEP, NWEA, ISA (for 8th graders), PARCC, and the algebra exit exam. This testing can be monotonous and feel like a waste of class time, but it needs to be done. It seems that students are realizing this, as participation is on the rise, but it is unlikely that WY will see a participation rate anywhere near 95% this year. That is extremely unfortunate as not only does it reflect poorly on our school, it also puts us in danger of losing funding and consideration for prestigious awards. Even more, it is disrespectful to Ms. Zalon, who spends weeks coordinating schedules for this testing.

To all seventh and eighth grade students who have the option to take PARCC in the next few weeks, please do so! It will only take a few hours of your time, but it can have a tremendous impact on the school.

——————————————————————————————————————–

PARCC testing will be held on March 14, 15, 28, and 29. English Language Arts will be tested on the 14th and 15h, and Math will be tested on the 28th and 29th.

Correction: March 30, 2017

An earlier version of this article did not make clear that funding has previously never been withheld for low PARCC participation rates.