On The Come Up: Denzel Curry

Joel Lorenzi, Music Critic

Florida isn’t really known as a force in the rap game. It’s had a few stars such as Rick Ross, Ace Hood, and Trick Daddy, but Florida hasn’t had too many household names in the rap game. However, one artist hailing from the Sunshine State plans on becoming a household name soon, and putting his city on the map. Denzel Curry was born and raised in Carol City, Florida. He started his path of artistry with poetry in grammar school. He began rapping in the 6th grade, and spent a lot of his time at his local Boys and Girls Club, battling other rappers. For his first 2 years of high school, he attended Miami’s Design and Architecture High School. After being expelled, he attended Miami Carol City Senior High School, and began working on his project ‘Nostalgic 64’ while still attending classes.

Photo courtesy: https://thehundreds.com/blog/denzel-curry-interview/

In September 2011, Curry released his first mixtape titled ‘King Remembered Underground Tape 1991-1995’. This gave Curry local attention, and drew the attention of fellow Florida rapper SpaceGhostPurpp, who reposted Curry’s project on his Soundcloud, which essentially jump started Curry’s rap career. Curry soon became a member of SpaceGhostPurpp’s rap collective Raider Klan. The following year Curry released his second mixtape titled ‘King of the Mischievous South Vol. 1 Underground Tape 1996’, which gave him national attention, and led him to catch the eye of Earl Sweatshirt & Odd Future. Later that year Curry released his third mixtape titled ‘Strictly for My R.V.I.D.X.R.S.’. In 2013, Raider Klan disbanded, which led to Curry’s solo career taking off. In September of that year Curry released his debut album titled ‘Nostalgic 64’. In June 2015, Curry released a double EP titled 32 Zel/Planet Shrooms. In March 2016, Curry released his second album titled ‘Imperial’. Three months later, Curry was featured on the cover of XXL Magazine for the annual ‘Freshman Class’.
Denzel Curry is gradually working towards giving Florida a face for rap, and with his rapid flow, lyricism, and dark sound, he’s making great progress. I asked Whitney Young students about Curry and got mixed responses. Senior Royon McCoy said “Denzel Curry has great lyrics, and his flow is nasty. I aspire to be him. Why is he so good?” Senior Tyler Ballog said “I don’t really listen to him, but I’ve definitely heard of him.” Senior Bruce Wilson said “Ultimate is a great song. It’s catchy.” Whether you think he is one of the best lyricists out or you’ve only heard a single freestyle, watch out because Denzel Curry is on the come up.