On The Come Up: Dave East

Joel Lorenzi, Music Critic

New York has given the rap game some of its biggest stars, from Jay Z to Wu Tang Clan to Nas and more. Since the era of 50 Cent, New York has been seeking a new face for it’s rap scene. While stars like Joey Bada$$ and A$AP Rocky along with A$AP Mob rule most of the rap scene in the boroughs, there is a fresh face who plans on being the face of New York rap. Dave East was born and raised in East Harlem. Rapping wasn’t something he considered as a kid. Growing up, like most kids where he was from, he loved basketball and rap. Basketball was his strong suit. Around the time he began high school he moved to Maryland and attended Springbrook High School. While playing there for the school team, he received attention from local coaches. East even played AAU with then-future NBA players Kevin Durant, Ty Lawson, Michael Beasley, and Greivis Vasquez. He went on to play college basketball at the University Richmond, and soon transferred to Towson University. However, he decided to put the ball down, and pick up the mic.

Photo courtesy: http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/12/dave-east-harlem-nas-mass-appeal/

East released his first mixtape in 2010 titled ‘Change of Plans’ which put him under the local spotlight. From then to 2013 he showed his commitment to music, releasing his next five mixtapes ‘Insomnia’, ‘American Greed’, ‘Don’t Sleep’, ‘No Regrets’, and ‘Gemini’. After garnering a ton of attention the previous year, in 2014 New York rapper Nas heard East’s music for the time. Nas immediately sought to get in contact with East. In the summer of 2014 Nas signed East to Mass Appeal Records. Later that year he released his seventh mixtape ‘Black Rose’. The following year he released his eighth mixtape with features from Nas, Pusha T, Jadakiss, and others. In 2016, East began to receive recognition all across the country. In June 2016, East graced the cover of XXL Magazine with nine other artists for their annual freshman class. In September of that year he was featured in the BET Hip Hop Awards Cypher alongside Young M.A. and others. Later that month East released his ninth mixtape ‘Kairi Chanel’ which reached number 38 on the US Billboard 200.

Dave East is known for his gritty NY sound, lyricism, and dark storytelling. His rapping ability is beyond his years and sounds just like the heart of New York during the 90’s with a modern twist. I asked Whitney Young students about Dave East to get some opinions. Junior Jake Kosakowski said “I think he has the potential to bring New York rap back. His lyricism and storytelling is something new age hip hop fans haven’t seen in awhile. Dave East, A Boogie, Don Q, and Young M.A. are trying to bring back real rap within New York. Senior Derrick Faulkner simply said “‘Keisha’ is a work of art.” Senior Ashanti Andrews said “I saw him in the XXL cypher with G Herbo, but I was mostly just paying attention to Herb.” Whether you deem him as the savior of New York rap, or don’t pay him any mind at all, jump on the bandwagon before it’s too late because Dave East is on the come up.